Monday, July 14, 2008

Drastic times call for drastic measures

At work the other day, a few of us were talking about our healthy eating efforts. Or lack thereof. None of us are overweight at all... in fact, Heather looks like a Barbie doll and Lynett certainly wears her jeans well but we were talking about you know... the last 3 kgs. Not enough for most people to worry about but enough for our clothes to be too tight. We all nodded and mmmm'd with sympathetic understanding. As we chit-chatted I said maybe we should all do the South Beach diet (I don't even know what it is, I just like the name) and we all considered that option. Heather wiki'd it and we huddled around the computer checking out how strict it might be. Then I said (foolishly) that if were going to deprive ourselves we should really just do the Scarsdale diet for two weeks, get our results and get on with it. I told them how, in my early twenties, I had lost 7kg in two weeks and kept it off and that my friends had all had similar results.


Well, that was enough to get everyone's attention. Heather's fingers got working on the wiki and everyone decided it was very doable. My testimony as to its results sealed the deal. We consulted our diaries, which included upcoming social commitments and training days (with lunch provided) and decided that Monday 14th July was the best day to start.


So today's the day. Didn't I say I couldn't do deprivation any more? How did I get talked into this? And considering Heather is 21 and Lynett is 25 and I am 36, how come I wasn't the adult in this situation telling those young things to be more sensible? I was in fact encouraging them!! Gah. Well.. now we're committed and we're in it together. Today my scales tipped 68.6kg and I couldn't do the zip up on my new work pants. It was enough to make me decide maybe this isn't a bad idea after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remind me next time I complain about the size of my arse to not look at that "diet". It wouldn't sustain a goldfish.

BelleCass said...

Ah, but it works. No pain, no gain. :)