You all know I'm trying to be a psychologist, right? And increasingly I want to be a psychologist who works with infants and mothers on attachment/bonding issues... or even with adults who have attachment (relationship) problems due to their own insecure attachments as an infant. The whole field fascinates me and it is where my future lies, I'm sure of it.
So I took this job because it is working with mothers and babies in crisis. If there was ever the likelihood of attachment issues, this is where they are. Not to mention most of the mothers (ok, all of them) have shitty relationships with their own mothers and having an insecure attachment with your own parent is THE key indicator of having an insecure attachment with your own child. Some of the young mothers I see were helping their mothers shoot up while other kids were playing with barbie dolls. One was hanging out the washing and cooking her own dinner when she was six. She is now 18yo with an adorable, healthy 2yr old... but you have to wonder about their future.
But I digress. Let's get back to talking about me :)
So the job is great but it's not getting me registered as a psych. For that I need to either go back and do Masters (2yrs F/T or 4yrs P/T) or be supervised, which basically means work in the field, meet with a supervisor once a week, and do a number of field placements to get a variety of experience. It takes two years too, but these days is considered a "lesser" qualification than a Masters. Well, it always was.. but these days Masters is kind of the minimum standard for a lot of employers. It's a good way to go though, if you don't get into Masters or don't want to do it straight away (like me). The upside is that you can get registered in two years while earning an income, as opposed to being a full-time student (no income and the course costs $14k per year... not to mention child care costs. eek.)
ANYWAY, I had given up hope on the second option until I was introduced to a girl through my work, who works for a different organisation but in a similar kind of field (with young offenders) who is being supervised AND her work is paying for it! I honestly didn't know these kinds of arrangements existed anymore so it has given me renewed hope. Apparently, they just called this guy (the supervisor, who runs his own private practice) randomly and he took her on. They even haggled down his fee. Cool. So even if I have to pay for it myself, just to know that I can make a call and start working towards my psych registration is really encouraging.
Now, to get work to pay for it....

No comments:
Post a Comment