Saturday, May 17, 2008

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

I have come to realise that my hormonal contraception turns me into a homicidal maniac every month. To some people in my life, this would come as no great surprise but to me, it was somewhat of a revelation. My level of crankiness and/or waves of depression (which I generally attribute to the circumstances of my life - new city, no friends etc) all seem to fall into a very consistent pattern on the calendar. hmmm.... perhaps worth investigating further.

My first thought was that I've always suffered from PMT and that this is normal for me. Then I considered the fact that I went on the pill when I was 17 and - apart from a few short breaks - didn't stop taking it until I wanted to have Annabelle. So what's that? 16 years?? Basically my entire adult life?? Far out man, I have had no idea what is remotely normal for me and my body. And funnily enough, while PMT has been a fairly standard part of my life since I can remember, those few months that I didn't take the pill before falling pregnant - I was pretty bloody serene if I don't mind saying so myself!

So I've made the call. No more artificial hormones for me. I've told Mel that I've taken responsibility for contraception for the first 10 years of our relationship and now it's his turn. He says he's fine with it but I daresay we're either going to have a helluva long dry spell or Annabelle's going to have a sibling sooner than anyone expected. Watch this space.

No comments: