Saturday, January 5, 2008

Market Day

There hasn't been much to report this week.. it's been a lot of pandering to Annabelle's every whim while Mel and I get increasingly frustrated at not having any time to ourselves. I'm sure he's looking forward to going back to work next week to have some time out. The fact that she's taken to going to bed at 9.30pm each night doesn't help, though it's hard to argue with her when it's broad daylight until 9.00pm and the evening hours are the coolest part of the day, so the best time to run and play outside.

ANYWAY... today we did something different and visited Central Market. This is famous in Adelaide. In fact, I daresay it's probably famous far beyond Adelaide. It's the most amazing array of fresh food, coffee, even skincare products at even more amazing prices. We will definitely be regular visitors, as I'm sure many Adelaidians are - considering the market has 150,000+ visitors each week (and it only opens 4 days/wk!).

We bought beautiful cheese, gourmet dips and olives, meat, fruit and veges and organic coffee for our fabulous new coffee maker (ooh I haven't told you about our coffee maker yet, have I?). We got mangoes for 50c each. Luscious large avocadoes for 99c each. Freshly made gourmet dips for $2.50. It appealed to me on so many levels:

1. It's good for our wallet!
2. We're supporting local growers instead of the big nasty chains.
3. It's a truly "Adelaide" thing to do.
4. It's a thriving little hub of activity and makes you feel part of a community.
5. Well... I like food. :)

I drank coffee and strolled around while we compared prices and enjoyed the quite humorous spruiker ("I've got lovely big melons. Come and see my melons. What about my bananas? Size does count" etc.. :-). Annabelle stayed in her pram (for once) like a good little vegemite. And Mel dutifully loaded up the green bag every time I spotted some tasty temptation that took my fancy. I wish I'd taken pictures to post. Perhaps I will next week. We will definitely be back!

No comments: