Sunday, December 30, 2007

Run, run, run!

I've started running. Except technically it's more like jog/walking but hey.. it's a start! I've done a bit of running before but not very consistently. I'm definitely not a 'natural' runner.. it's something I need to work at. Painful as it is, there is just something satisfying about running.

It's hard not to be motivated to get fit down here. Every morning when we walk to the beach we see runners and triathletes and of course every cafe has thousands of dollars worth of bikes leaning against the walls. Forget churches, they should call this place the City of Lycra.

So I got onto the Couch to 5km website and had a look at the program. Couch to 5km is a really easy running program designed to get you running 5km after about 9 weeks. It's easy-peasy so that you don't go too hard and burn out like I've done in the past. The best bit is that a dude called Robert Ullrey has created podcasts for all the weeks so you don't even have to look at your watch to know when to walk and when to jog. Cool.

I've downloaded them and started Week One. It's so easy.. I just run along with my iPod and listen to the funky music while Robert says "ok, you can walk now".. (more music)... "ok it's time to pick up the pace. Remember to stay loose and don't overdo it". Yay for Robert and his free podcasts!

So I'm off the couch. Or in my case the computer. And becoming a runner again. I'll let you know when I sign up for my first marathon. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened to the pump class instructor?

BelleCass said...

HA! I knew you wouldn't let me forget. Here's the thing.. first I have to get fit.. And then I have to get a bit less broke (ie have enough money to get to the gym and do a pump class).

THEN I will find me a Pump Class Instructor Course. All part of the plan... :)

Anonymous said...

Right, I geddit - work in progress ;)

BelleCass said...

well yes as a matter of fact. :) But 'work in progress' was actually referring to my life! ....